Well, what the guidebooks say is true: Guatemala City is no walk in the park. Yet, the largest city in Central America certainly has much to offer and I look forward to sharing my experiences over the next few months with you.
I hope you enjoy the video below that I created to introduce you to FAPE – the microfinance foundation I’ll be working with here in Guatemala City. A previous Kiva Fellow (Megan Montgomery) and the Kiva staff have built a strong partnership with FAPE and I’ve been received with open arms and a lot of food.
Here are a few facts about Guatemala:
- Estimated 2008 Population: 13.6 million
- Population living below poverty line: 59%
- Indigenous population: 41%
- Languages: Spanish + 24 recognized indigenous languages
- GDP: $33.7 billion (About that of the state of Montana)
Help support FAPE and Guatemalan entrepreneurs by joining the
“Viva Guatemala” lending team!
Posted in FAPE, Guatemala, KF7 (Kiva Fellows 7th Class) Tagged: andreabd, FAPE, Guatemala, kf7